i want to build my own coilovers...

Tags
pipe dream
7K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  WSW 
#1 ·
i need to get coils for my 9-5. and well i was gonna get the k sport ones that

are 900 and i almost have enough but i have bills and i REALLY dont want to

drop that much on coils. then my friend suggested i make my own. is this

possible? like could i do this for the my 2001 9-5?

ive never done anything like this before, but i would love to give it a shot. n

this seems like a pretty cool forum i was wonderin if anybody here could help

me along with what parts to buy and alittle guidance so i dont kill myself. if

people help me out then i will order the parts this friday and well see how it

goes. ive done some research and it looks like i will just need spring sleeves(just a long spring it looks like) and an aluminum adjuster shock with sleeve.

should i go for it?

See less See more
#11 ·
yeah no thanks. thats a rip off. if i drove a volkswagen i could get SHITTY coilovers for 300 dollars. im not looking for a performance handling, im just trying to slam my car.
fixed*
^ if you want to just slam your ride with no care about spring rates or dampening you should just get an extra oil pan now, and let your doctor know that in the near future you will have horrible lower back pain and possible kidney failure.

#12 ·
Possible, but do you have any clue what spring rate you'd need front and rear? It's a bit more involved than just cobling together some parts. You really need to know what you're doing. Hence the concept of suspension engineers who do this for a living.

Just sayin' is all. Good luck.

#15 ·
Lol idc what anyone says its my car and I know what I want. Instead of flaming my ass you guys could try n help out. Why do youcare if I fuck up my ride? Its my car if something goes wrong its my fault so quit complainin like its yours. And my body is already messed up the car has cut lowering springs on it now. People should be more open minded about going outside the box

#16 ·
if there is already a part available and its only 900$ and you cant afford it, STOP MODDING CARS. keep your cut springs before you WASTE your money on crappy coilover e bay kits.. my roomate thought it would be a good idea to toss some cheap "coilover" springs on his honduh.. lasted about a week till it was unbearable for him to get where he needed to comfortably..ohh and the fact that it bottomed out over every bump and smashed his down pipe in the process.. k sport makes a decent product, just save and buy that, yea you can get 300 dollar RACELAND POS coils for a vw, go get a vw then..

you asked for an opinion, take what you where given.. and no im not some kid who rolls on stock setups, i have had 3 240s on coils, my current car has more adjustable suspension products than any SAAB can shake a stick at..

#25 ·
if there is already a part available and its only 900$ and you cant afford it, STOP MODDING CARS.
Seriously dude? I can't believe you just wrote this. This is the bullshit you find in BMW forums. "If you don't have that much money in your pocket you shouldn't be here in the first place..." NO. ABSOLUTELY 100% WRONG! There is absolutely no reason you should not modify a car the way you want to. If someone has a passion for cars and wants to make his car different from the rest, you should be supportive of that, not criticize him for not having as much money as you do. We can't all just run out and buy top-shelf products for our car. Most of us have to be very patient and get a little creative in the process. In the end, Zach's right, it is his car and he can (and absolutely should) do exactly (and only) what he wants to do. If something doesn't go quite right, he can learn from it, try to fix it, or realize it's not for him. Or, who knows, maybe it'll be the best thing he's ever done, and he'll have the satisfaction of knowing he did it himself. Doing something different is what car modification is about. Stop the flaming and leave the kid alone. Zach, if you want to do it, go for it, and don't take any of this to heart. Just make sure you do plenty of research, browse online for other people who have made their own coilovers (not necessarily just Saab either, anyone who has done it may have some very useful information. General knowledge on the subject is your best friend). Best of luck dude.

#17 ·
i asked for help and if i should go for it, but all i did was get attacked because

its dangerous or not the "right" way to drop a car. in the end im

doing what i want. people dont need to become jerks and come at me, if anything id rather

just be called crazy or just say good luck and leave it at that. dont gotta be

like oh your dumb, your just gonna fuck up your car. im not a noob. its my car so people dont need to

worry they arent the ones riding in it and dealing with the shitty ride. bleh

whatever im done with this

#18 ·
it just seems like you know absolutely nothing about what your doing, well possibly because you said you know absolutely nothing about doing it... i mean you didnt even know what a dust boot was... seriously???

ill tell you what you want to hear then.. YES IT WILL BE A SUPER GOOD IDEA TO JUST SLAP SOME COILOVERS TOGETHER KNOWING NOTHING ABOUT IT, BECAUSE A FEW PEOPLE (WHO ALSO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT) TOLD YOU IT WAS A GOOD WAY TO SAVE A FEW HUNDRED $$$$
happy??

#19 ·
oh my god. yeah i dont no anything about building coilovers. duh. thats why i asked for help.

i know what a dust boot is man, i was just making sure. you know trying to learn. im not that stupid.

you made it seem like i know nothing about modding cars at all.

i dont want to hear shit from anybody. people here need to just chill out.

#20 ·
I don't get why people aren't like down to help out n tryn find the parts I need to build this. Like you all should stop hatin n we should tryn pull this off idc bout my car like ill be the test goat I could care less I'm tryn to do something differnt that's all

#24 · (Edited)
If you are serious about making your own coil overs I would suggest you pick up a good book on suspension design, there are quite a few out there, check them out at Amazon. If you're going to do it, do it right.

Not to be rude, however, but to me it seems you don't do much reading, especially when you write "tryn", "ill", "n", "i"... Those are not words of the language we agreed upon in this forum.

"jus sayn..."

#26 ·
all im saying is it cost money to mod cars.. 900$ isnt THAT MUCH MONEY.. esp for a proven product.. and i have seen what happens when people who dont know thier shit try to "make" coilovers.. do you have any welding skills? any fabricating skills?? im not trying to be a dick but more save you a headache/ money / and time.

i whole heartedly agree that is a great idea to fab up your own car parts to save some coin, but not suspension.. an intake yes, intercooler pipes, exhaust.. go for it none of these things could kill you if they fuck up..

#27 ·
thanks for getting my back man.

thats all you needed to say...good luck or tryn explain yourself man. i see that your tryn to save me heache, time etc n thats cool. before you were being a straight up jerk just flaming my ass. not cool. were all suppossed to be homies here.

i still dont know what i plan to do yet, but atlaest i have an idea of what needs to happen. and if it fails oh well, fuck it id probably laugh. haha

#28 ·
What is this thread about...LOL...
900 is plenty of money for a nice suspension (if you do the work yourself)...you need to ask yourself all the important questions first
Is it going to be a weekend track car ?
A daily driver ?
A weekend cruising car ?
Here is my ghetto setup to help
Koni fronts (aero springs)
Bilstein Rear (aero springs)
Energy suspension sway bar bushings grease type (custom fit front and rear)
This is a nice ride and great for sport driving (not a track suspension)
A decent aggressive suspension would be Koni yellows "front" Bilstein Sport "rear" with Eibach springs and energy suspension bushings (but of course non of this will matter if the rest of the suspension is not in excellent shape)

#29 ·
Not to be rude...but the guys said he had a budget and you throw 2000 dollar suspension in his face...that is a very nice suspension for (full race application) otherwise it is a huge waste of money unless you plan on taking freeway on ramps at 90 MPH, hitting a pothole and dying (at least in New England :)

#30 ·
yeah, everyone needs to chill the fuck out. Criticism is one thing, but keep it constructive. Don't just tear into someone and say they are too cheap to mod cars (because FUCK YOU if you think that what this forum is about).

If you need help, ask, and if someone tears into youkn contact a moderator about it, i'm sick of this shit.

As for your coilovers, definately do some research as to what spring rates you might want, and have at it! My koni's on my 9-3 have settled a TON in the back, to the point that my 215/45/17's are tucking, and i'm going to need to roll my fenders here soon. Also, check out some of the fabrication threads on VWvortex. There are some decent coilover builds on there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.